Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A point on negativity

I want to start by saying that I hate being negative about BC sports, as this is the only college team I follow, it was my school, and I can't stand when any of my teams lose.  I feel I should briefly address it, however, as my basketball posts as of late have had a downer feel to them.

Overall, I pride myself on being a straight shooter.  I will praise BC when it is warranted, and I will be critical when it is warranted.  For the most part, their performance this season has been deserving of criticism, but not totally devoid of positives, and they haven't been nearly as godawful in their last 2 games as they were against, say, Maryland.  The fact remains that if you want a glowing evaluation of BC every time they play in any sport, win or lose, then you have come to the wrong blog.  In fact, I don't think you'll get that on any BC blog, because all of us will call BC teams out when they've not done well.

I am not throwing dirt on top of BC basketball this year, and neither are the fans.  BC basketball are deep-sixing themselves; I'm just commenting on it.  Most of us are very frustrated with how things are going, and I can't get on anyone for having a pessimistic view.  Am I saying to stop supporting them?  Of course not, because they are still in it until they are out of the ACC Tournament.  But if you don't feel particularly good about that, then you're definitely not alone.

Am I a natural pessimist when it comes to BC sports?  No.  I thought BC had a good chance of being a 5 or 6 seed in the NCAAs prior to the season, and now I realize that with their resume, it would take a miracle run just to get in as a low-ish seed.  That's not my opinion; that's pretty much fact.  I don't enjoy being negative about BC, and it bothers me immensely when they lose.   Sometimes, however, negativity is warranted, but keep in mind that it's not really negativity when it's the truth.

It's been a rough season, and I for one am hoping for a March to remember.  I am looking for something to be happy about with this team, but will we get it?  Being realistic about where your team stands doesn't make you a lousy fan or a pessimist or anything like that; it just makes you, well, realistic.  It also does not preclude you from still rooting for your team.  I think most of us are together on this point, so I will conclude on this: I will still report on BC basketball here, I will still follow all of the games, and I will say what I have to say.  If you disagree when I say it, then you are welcome to participate.  I just felt as though I had to point out that sometimes, I'm just not going to gush positivity.  When your team is 11-9, it'd be pretty hard to do that all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment