Monday, April 20, 2009

Marathon Monday/Patriots' Day in Boston

I have some very nice memories of my time at Boston College getting to experience Marathon Monday. I'll spare you more of the details but I will tell you about last year, actually getting up close to the Boston Marathon for the first time. My dorm room was about 50 or so yards from Commonwealth Avenue and there was plenty of open space at the time along the route. My roommate and I picked a nice spot at the end of Heartbreak Hill (if not a little bit after its end) and watched the leaders and camera crews come by. We didn't know it at the time, but one of the guys who had passed us was Lance Armstrong (we found out once we turned on the TV inside). Lots of people wait out there with lawn chairs, cameras, the occasional alcoholic beverage, and signs for when their friends pass by. It really is an interesting experience and luckily in 2008 we got a bright, sunny day.

The Red Sox play at 11am, Commonwealth Avenue is closed for miles and miles, and you better not even think of driving anywhere near the BC campus until the afternoon.

For information on this year's marathon, consult this website. It's today, so if you're in the area, make it a good Patriots' Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment