Thursday, October 14, 2010

2010 Week 7 in the ACC

Last week: 5-1
Overall: 37-14 (.725)


North Carolina State at East Carolina
Line: NC State -7

Another BC connection weekend for TOB; this time, he faces former Eagles quarterback Dominique Davis. ECU would be a tempting upset pick, except for the fact that they’ve gotten blown out by both ACC teams they’ve played (those games were on the road, but that shouldn’t matter). Pick: NC State

Maryland at Clemson
Line: Clemson -14.5

Maryland has the better record, but Clemson is favored. Looking at their schedule, however, the Terps don’t have much in the impressive wins department. Clemson certainly doesn’t, either, as their only two wins of the year were against squishy also-rans Presbyterian and North Texas. I actually believe this game is much closer than the line would suggest, but I figure Clemson’s losing streak has to end sometime. I’ll take the Tigers but I feel like I might regret this on Saturday night. Pick: Clemson

Miami at Duke
Line: Miami -19.5

Miami will rebound, and Duke is the only team in the ACC in my estimation that can claim to be worse than BC. I doubt this will be a must-watch. Pick: Miami

Mid Tennessee at Georgia Tech
Line: GT -19

The Blue Raiders aren’t even that good for a Sun Belt team, as opposed to last year when they were 10-3 and won a bowl game. This will most likely get ugly. Pick: Georgia Tech

Wake Forest at Virginia Tech
Line: VT -22.5

The Hokies are finally on a roll, and the Deacs can’t stop anyone. Following consecutive bitter losses, Wake's 4 game losing streak will become 5. Pick: Virginia Tech

North Carolina at Virginia
Line: UNC -6.5

UNC has lost four in a row to the Cavaliers. Their last win was in 2005 – a 7-5 baseball score. In fact, they haven’t beaten UVA at Charlottesville since 1981. This is kind of a weird game with no clear favorite to me, but based upon the ‘Hoos complete ownership of the Heels, I will give it to the home team. Pick: Virginia

Boston College at #16 Florida State
Line: FSU -21.5

Well, we all know where Boston College has been and is heading this season. It needs to be said, as it has been said so many times: our team sucks. This wasn’t supposed to happen this season, but it did, and the Eagles will probably only continue to get worse.  Chase Rettig, regardless of how effective he is, can only do so much.

Florida State, on the other hand, is ranked. I can almost certainly picture this team in Charlotte in December. Most recently, the Seminoles’ conquered a pretty hapless Miami squad (hapless for a team that was also supposed to be ranked, that is) and are turning their guns on the Eagles.

As for my pick: I wouldn’t have to tell any of you that I’m picking the Seminoles. The only question, of course, would be “by how much?” The Eagles are losing worse and worse every weekend. UNRANKED teams are making them look like absolute crap, and now they have to go down to Doak to get a spanking they won’t soon forget. Forgive me, BC fans, but I think Florida State wins by a substantial margin. My best-case scenario probably won’t be realized; a 40-point defeat, which was pretty close to my worst-case, seems well within the realm of possibility.  It might not get that bad, but it'll be bad nevertheless.  Pick: Florida State

No comments:

Post a Comment